Surprising Wedding Statistics
TheKnot.com, a great source for anything wedding-related, found some interesting statistics after surveying over 20,000 couples across the country.
Here are the 12 most surprising:
1. The average budget for just the wedding ceremony and reception is $28,385. And that's down five percent from 2008! Still New York City and Long Island throw the most money away lavish weddings, with their budgets at nearly $57,000.
2. Only 20 percent of weddings were formal or black tie and most of those took place in Long Island and New Jersey.
3. Fifty percent of wedding colors are jewel tones, which is good news if you're a Summer.
4. The average engagement ring costs $5,847.
5. Fifteen percent of receptions feature a signature drink offering that says let's get drunk, in a unique way.
6. Most brides have at least one DIY element, usually ceremony programs, favors, or escort cards.
7. Weddings in Iowa and Nebraska are the biggest, averaging 200 guests eating food and drinking booze.
8. The average number of friends the bride will force to buy a dress that they hate is five. The average number of groomsmen squeezed into monkey suits also numbers five. Even steven.
9. The number of wedding after-parties has shot up by 11.5 percent in a single year. As of 2009, 30 percent of couples don't just go home and do it; they stay out all night partying with their guests.
10. Only 19 percent of brides hire a wedding planner.
11. On average, the parents of the bride usually pay 46 percent of the cost, the bride and groom absorb 40 percent, and the groom's folks get away with a mere 12 percent contribution.
12. 87 percent of brides wear white!-and "Lady In Red", and "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" (the theme song from "The Lion King") are two of the most popular first dance songs. The most common music genre wedding bands are asked to play is oldies/pop at 26 percent.